25.11.09

Green Eggs and....Lamb?

Written Two Days Ago
********************************
I'm laughing right now ^.^ I amuse myself everyday! This is why I need a real camera; something I've been saying since I started this blog nearly a year ago. Yes, I'm supposed to get Franiel's Nikon, EVENTUALLY, but I kinda don't want it anymore. It's kind of a big hassle because I'm going to have to find all the necessary parts for it, and I'd honestly much rather buy myself a new camera in a month when I have my job and everything. Anyway, I'm sure your all tired of hearing me rant endlessly, so let's get into what I've accomplished today :P

The picture above is of the pieces of meat derived from a leg of lamb that I cut apart today. I had never actually fabricated meat before, well not this large a piece, so it was interesting to learn about where the joint can be cut, and the pieces of meat that come from a leg. The green comes from the pesto rub I made for them: basil, Parmesan cheese, garlic, a little olive oil, and some salt. After the picture was taken, I tied them up with butchers twine and left them in a hotel pan in the fridge for tomorrow. I wonder what method I'll use to cook them; probably braising because the lamb shank is in there with the other pieces.

Another thing I'd like to talk about is whether or not I'm a competent TA. (The second day I didn't know how to use the can opener, but that's not what I'm talking about :P) I'm talking about today when after lab chef pulled me aside before I left and basically told me I'm not aggressive enough in the kitchen. I agree....sort of. While I may be a little soft spoken, and I don't yell across the kitchen everyday, I don't think I'm so quiet that it's become something I need to work on. The part that I do understand is what he said about confidence in the kitchen; he told me that it seems as though I'm not confident enough in the kitchen, and apparently that's something that is obvious. I even see it, but it's not lack of confidence, it's two things in particular.

Number one, I don't want to be one of those people who acts like their food is so amazing, and then people see and eat it, and it's crap. Number two, sometimes I have absolutely no clue what I'm supposed to be doing. Like today for example; all I was told when I got the lamb was remove the fat, remove the shank, and then follow the lines of fat through the meat with my knife until only the bone was left. On several occasions I had no idea what to do next, so I just cut where I thought the fat continued. Oh well, maybe I'll have a better day tomorrow. Speaking of which, I'm so looking forward to thanksgiving break, not just because of the holiday and all the food and what not, but because I don't have to get up before dawn to go to school.

END

Two days ago, I was a much happier person. Two days ago, I wasn't ready to bash someones head in. Two days ago I wasn't looking forward to going back to school so I could be distracted from all this. But I have risen above. I refuse to talk about my personal problems over the Internet. This is a food blog, and I think sometimes I blur that line a bit too often. Anyway, on to better things :)

This is the only noteworthy thing I've done (eaten) today besides cleaning my room. It is a banana chocolate chip loaf from Starbucks. I think I've eaten this about four or five other times, and planned to blog about it on each occasion, but never got around to it. Actually, if you all could see the pictures folder on my computer, everyone would realize that on the days I don't post, I fully intend to. I take pictures of literally everything I eat, but sometimes I just don't have the time (or energy) to post them. Anyway, tomorrow is Thanksgiving and while I personally don't have anything special planned, I'm sure there will be plenty of food to talk about. That is if there is a Thanksgiving at my house (80/20 rule people). More tomorrow; this could get interesting... ALSO! I've started a new blog just for my surveys, sooo..here it is!