22.1.10

Mrs. Bouffant and I Make Fresh Pasta

Photobucket

Starting with a photo?? And one that's out of chronological order with the rest of them?! *wags hand* Dominic you just keep getting more outrageous as the days go by! Ahhh....I'm losing my mind here. Without school, or any kind of work to keep me occupied, my brain has begun to atrophy. It's been over a month of leasure and I need to do something. I can't let the best part of my day be when someone brings home a different vegetable from the grocery store.

Photobucket

Besides realizing that I am slowly losing my mind, today Alex and I made pasta. This morning he said he wanted to do something with me, and so I asked him to look through a magazine and see what he wanted to make. He brought me a picture of pasta, so I ended up making papardelle with a red sauce. It sounds plain, but usually in this house the only sauce anyone eats is out of a jar, so it was nice to actually make a sauce from start to finish instead of heating or a bottle of prego.

Photobucket

I was going to do a white sauce, but then I remembered that yesterday, we bought some heirloom tomatoes from the store. My grandmother's friend mentioned to me a few months ago that at the farmers market downtown apparently they have some really nice green and red, and even purple and red tomatoes, so that's definitely something I'd like to go do as soon as it stops being ice cold outside. Anyway, above right is the beginning of the sauce which, I know, I should have used concasse(d?) tomatoes for, but it honestly slipped my mind.

Photobucket

So after I cooked the pasta, I added red wine to the sauce, let it reduce, and (the other reason why I made red sauce) I added the remaining stock leftover from the other day. I don't believe I posted it on here, but I made everyone risotto for dinner two days after I baked the apple pie. I didn't have any stock in the house, and Franiel was sick so he couldn't take me to the store, so I had to make it myself. I must say it turned out probably better than if I would've gotten it at Giant. Tangent Over: After it started to boil, I reduced it to a simmer then added the pasta. Everyone (that ate it) really seemed to enjoy it, probably because prego is just ground up tomatoes and onions and doesnt have stock or wine in it.

Someone should really give me a pat on the back or something for how consistent I've been with my posting recently. During the three week break I took from doing +discow+ I was actually thinking of announcing a hiatus while I explored the job market. Obviously that didn't quite work out, and as it seems this blog is the only thing revolving around food I have right now. So I'm sorry if I've been giving four crappy posts a week instead of one great one every few, but I need this so that I don't lose the desire to cook.

This was a very short post, but it's only because I'm leaving to go somewhere in a few minutes so I didn't have very long to type. I've also been working on new picture ideas (like the one above) to keep things interesting so it's not just square after square of mediocre food photography. So..... more tomorrow :)